Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Traditions

All of us have various holiday traditions.  Sometimes those "traditions" change over the years, you choose a different color scheme,  change out your ornaments, no stockings, and the list could go on.  Over the years many of the things we have done have changed, but there are a few that won't change.  Food... one of the holiday traditions is Nuts and Bolts.  My Grandmother and my Mom made this every year, and I have as well, and my daughters are carrying on the tradition.

The recipe - special notes at the end of the post

The assembled ingredients 

The roasting pan full ready for the oven!!

oh yummy
Here is the complete recipe: with my tweaks

Nuts and Bolts
1 box cheerios
1 box rice chex
1 bag thin pretzel sticks

1 large container of mixed nuts(without peanuts)
1 large jar of peanuts
1 large container of cashews (my favorite)

2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce ( I use 2 Tbsp. some family members use more)
1 Tbsp. garlic salt
1 Tbsp. celery salt

1 cup butter
1cup canola oil

Melt together oil, butter, spices and sauces.
Mix the cereal, nuts and pretzels in a large roasting pan, pour liquid ingredients over and mix well.
Bake at 250 degrees for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, stirring every 30 min.

Enjoy!!
Cindy

0 comments:

Post a Comment